Welcome to Year 6!
CURRICULUM OVERVIEW Year 6
|This Half Term in Maths:|
|This Half Term in English:|
Using the book 'Letters from the Lighthouse' by Emma Carroll children will use this text to inspire our story writing.
· Use expanded noun phrases to convey complicated information concisely.
· Use a range of interesting verbs.
· Expand upon a multi-clause sentence ensuring that it is punctuated correctly.
· Use a wide range of devices to build cohesion within and across paragraphs.
· Plan their writing by noting and developing initial ideas, drawing on reading and research where necessary.
· Draft and write by describing settings, characters and atmosphere.
· Evaluate and edit by assessing the effectiveness of their own writing and the writing of others.
|Other Subject areas:|
|Our current Science topic is ‘Light.
Our current RE topic is ‘Creation/Fall’.
Pupils will be expected to:
Year 6 weekly homework expectations
Practise times table and division facts.
Use Times Tables Rockstars (if possible).
Fact Family of the week.
Read daily – for AT LEAST 20 minutes.
Record your reading in your homework diary, including comments.
Talk to someone at home about what you’ve read and get them to ask you questions.
Practise your weekly spellings (see sheet).
Practise the Year 5 / 6 common exception words (and Year 3 / 4, if you need to).
Practise various spelling rules and learn them.
Online homework resources:
(please complete the set tasks – see Miss F / Mr S if you need more support)
Practise your grammar knowledge by playing games at:
Tips for parents on how to make grammar fun for children!
(This site also contains additional grammar links.)
Practise your sentence level work by playing games at:
Why not read some ebooks at home?
Try to read EVERY evening Year 6, when possible!
Talk to your family about what you’ve read; get them to ask you questions about your book; share books with siblings; write book reviews!
Times Tables Rockstars:
Other useful maths sites:
Want to learn some more at home? See the link below: